Good Afternoon loves!
I hope everyone had a great weekend. We had some friends in town which always seems to keep me busy! I love having visitors, but I am looking forward to a mellow week. The next few months are going to be busy busy with work, traveling, weddings, and lots of exciting new happenings for AVC. One thing that you should know about me if you’re an AVC follower is my love for Birchbox. I signed up with this awesome company almost a year ago and have honestly loved ALL of my monthly boxes. This month’s box is on another level AMAZE!!!!!!!!! Included in my box this month were the following items:
1) Twistband-Headband Collection-I don’t normally wear these, but it came in handy when I wash my face. It is the 2nd item from the Twistband company, the first was a wrist band hairtie which I wear ALL the time!
2) Whish-Shave Cream-I used this right away. I hate shaving because I have thick hair and very sensitive skin, but this cream was so smooth and I didn’t have any sort of irritation afterwards.
3) Serge Normant-Dry Shampoo-LOVE this product, but hate when some of them make my hair white/flaky. Totally buying this brand in the full size when my sample is out!
4) Madewell-Emery Board-Nothing special about this little guy except that it’s the most darling floral print ever. But they did include a $25 off any purchase of $75 or more inside the box!
5) Incoco Design Nail Appliques-I got the pink version of this nail decal kit and I am not a huge fan of pink, but I plan on mixing them with some bolder, edgier colored polishes. Stay tuned for my mani of the week later on this week!!
If you aren’t signed up yet I definitely encourage you to give it a try. At only $10 a month it isn’t a break the bank commitment AND you may cancel your membership at any time if you chose. Simply click here to sign up and give it a try!
Happy Tuesday loves! I received this Birchbox a few weeks ago, but with post holiday organization and catch up it got placed on the back burner. Honestly, I was disappointed by this Birchbox. I feel like my odds are good though considering I have been receiving these lovely boxes for 9 months and enjoyed every one of them, but this one.
1) LA Fresh Eco waterproof makeup remover-I honestly thing this entire line is stupid. I realize people want on the go makeup remover/face wash products, but I see absolutely NO DIFFERENCE from La fresh vs any over the counter wipe. The fresh scent is nice, but the reality of me needing multiple one time use face wash or make-up remover wipes are unrealistic.
2) Aerie Shimmer-No words for this fragrance other than we don’t need a stinkin perfume every single time we get a box!!! I have enough samples for me to NEVER buy my own perfume.
3) Embryolisse Lait-Creme-I liked this product. Very moisturizing, but didn’t make me want to purchase it in full size.
4) DDF Acne Control Treatment– I didn’t hate this treatment especially considering it came right in time for a breakout that I had. I felt like it worked and I will defs be saving this for the next time Captain Big Zit comes along!
5) Hot Mama Shadow & Blush-By far my fav from this box and the only saving grace! I received this last product from The Balm and fell in love! I already ordered this blush from Birchbox! So amazing!!!!
Have you ladies heard of Birchbox? If so What did you girls get in your boxes this month?
Posted in Beauty
Tagged amy black, amy's vintage closet, beauty, birchbox favorites, birchbox january, ddf, fashion, hot mama balm, January Birchbox review, the balm hot mama, winter 2013
Happy Saturday loves!
November’s Birchbox took awhile to arrive at my house in little Chandler, AZ. They were experiencing delays due to Hurricane Sandy. It made me that much more excited to receive it though. This month is also my mom’s first BIRCHBOX!!! Here is what I received:
1) This month’s theme is Give. Appropriately named for the month of Thanksgiving. I was very pleased with my box!
2) Curl Keeper-I haven’t been wearing my hair curly lately so I haven’t had a chance to try this, but I always love trying new curly hair products. I have purchased so many that don’t work so it’s nice to have a sample before committing. Also, this product is currently sold out on BB so it seems to be a hit.
3) ModelCo Shine-This is a full size gloss with a mirror on the side. Um, can you say score!? This Australian company prides itself in creating products that are fuss-free but high impact. This non-sticky gloss goes on smoothly and gives lips a soft punch of sheer, slightly shimmery color. I put it on right away and it is a now in my purse.
4) JR Watkins Hand & Cuticle Cream-I have been on the hunt for some cuticle cream/moisturizer and I am afraid this is not it. My hands get very dry from working at a restaurant and I didn’t notice any difference from the few times I used it. It is however an amazing hand cream. I have been using it for that and love it. Just didn’t do it for me for the cuticle care I need.
5) Holiday 2012 Gift Guide-I personally think these booklets are a waste of time and money. I don’t know who reads them. There aren’t coupons inside and seem pointless really.
6) Give Box-This came empty with the intention of giving it to someone with something in it. A pay it forward type of thing. I love this clever idea and cannot wait to give it to someone special.
7) Chuao Chocolate Bar-I am definitely NOT a fan of chocolate, candy, or food of any kind inside my Birchbox! It is for beauty products duh! I hope this stops.
8) Sumita Color Contrast Eyeliner-I was scared to get this one at first because when I loged in online to see what my box was it said I was getting this liner in neon yellow. Like highlighter yellow. Not my cup o tea. I was sooooo happy when it arrived and was black! This is a full size eyeliner and goes on so smooth. It arrived just in time to replace my empty one!
Although I wasn’t pleased by half of these items all in all I was very happy about this box. The way I look at it is for $10 I received two full sized products that I would have cost $28. Plus who doesn’t like getting packages?! If you haven’t already I would check out Birchbox!
I know it’s hella days late, but I figure better late than never. I needed time to review these products this month. Most months I can get everything sampled by a day or two. At first I didn’t think I was going to enjoy this box as much because I rarely like changing my hair products and it’s 3 out of 5 of the products. I took the samples with me to SF a few weeks ago and was finally able to test them out!
The first item was a Madewell $25 off $75 gift certificate. This would be great if they didn’t sell $300 sweaters. I didn’t use this at all and it expired sooner than I could give it to someone. Next up is the Bvlgari Mon Jasmin Noir perfume sample which smells delicious and is a perfect spicy blend for fall. The next 3 items I will group together as they are all made by the Liqwd brand. The shampoo and conditioner packets were perfect for travel. They lathered well and I was pleased. But I will not be switching anytime soon. However, the volumizing spray in a pen like packaging is awesome! I adore this stuff and plan on purchasing it. The nail color in this months box was a pretty blue that I definitely will be wearing this fall. Birchbox included one of those new twistbands for your hair which I love and wear all the time. Lastly, the Dr Jart Beauty Balm was an awesome travel size, but I love my Rain cosmetics beauty balm too much to switch. If you haven’t heard of or gotten into Birchbox, it is a $10 a month membership where you are given a variety of products. There hasn’t been a box yet where I didn’t think it was worth it. What are you waiting for? Join here!
Have a great Saturday!
I hope you all had a fab weekend. Thanks so much for the birthday wishes and love. This past birthday was the most memorable one yet. Big special thanks to Dapper Fellow who set everything up and housing all of us! I am kicking off this week with a bam and my August Birchbox report. I got this one just in time for wkd birthday festivities and actually had time to try out all of these products a lot quicker than I normally do.
1-Pixi Beauty Lid Last Shadow– A conventional eye shadows have a funny way of fading and creasing over the course of a day. It also works as a liner, so you get even more bang for your buck. That is how I experimented with it this weekend.
2-Miss Jessie’s Original Quick Curls-Not sure who Miss Jessie is, but hot damn this stuff smells good. This product is very lightweight which is essential for curly hair. It gave an even bounciness to my entire head and I will definitely be purchasing it once my sample runs out.
3-Viva La Juicy-I personally believe anything Juicy is a NO-GO after 2007, but this subtle floral scent is actually enjoyable. I love having samples of perfume to keep in my purse or take on trips. I wore this on Friday and felt that it had a very long lasting aroma which is always important when trying to remain fresh!
4-Schick Hydro Silk Razor-Ok so this one I was honestly disappointed about getting. I have used the same razor since 2005. (Mach 3 and yes I realize it was designed as a men’s razor) I don’t feel like the foo foo women’s razors do anything for my thick crazy dark hair, but this razor’s name speaks for itself. Silky is definitely the word I would use to describe it’s results. I will be purchasing replacement blades and tossing my trusty Mach 3 aside for now.
5- Beauty Fixation Make Up Remover-I am kicking myself for not being the inventor of this product. How many of us use q-tips and lick part of it to remove small smudges or makeup mistakes? Well this product is a little bit more proper than the lick and swap method. I think having a few of these in your purse would solve all minor mishaps while out and about.
Have you signed up for Birchbox yet? My mom just got on board and I am thinking about getting the Men’s Birchbox for my Dapper Fellow.
As usual I was beyond excited and anxious for my July Birchbox. And let me tell you it has been the best birchbox that I have gotten so far!
1) Supercoop City Sunscreen- Perfect for a vay cay or day in the sun.
2) Color Club Nail Polish-Pastels aren’t just for Easter. These creamy shades mix the sweetness of pastels with the boldness of brights. They’re the perfect way to update your wardrobe for summer. Each cheery shade looks equally stylish on fingers or toes.
3) Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner- this London-based brand’s liquid liners let you create mod looks in a flash. Rather than frustrating us with hard-to-control brush tips, they feature a pen-style applicator that’s completely goofproof. Give your basic black a break and experiment with rich Olive or punchy Turquoise. They’re guaranteed to make your eyes pop.
4) Tea Forte Mints- known for their stylish tisanes, is introducing clever mints that have both wellness and breath-sweetening properties. All-natural and sugar-free, Minteas are infused with organic green tea, herbs, and fruit extracts to give you an instant antioxidant boost. Better yet, they freshen breath and taste delicious.
5) Harvey Prince Eau Flirt- It takes a lot of moxie to actually wink at someone. We’d rather let our scent do the flirting. This sweetly mischievous fragrance channels our inner girly girl with a combination of fresh florals and warm spices. You’ll want to pair this one with your most confident outfit.
6) Colorful Headphones- So practical and I am already in LOVE!!!!!
Ck out these latest products here!!!!! And if you haven’t gotten on board with Birchbox you can do so here!!!! $10 a month is such a great deal for what you receive!!!
Here is a spread of my packing for SD.
From left to right..1) hat-forever 21 2) floral pants-vintage 3) red wedges-Jeffery Campbell 4) shoes-Ivanka Trump 5) stripped shirt-vintage 6) blue chambray top-frenchi, 7) ikat shorts- Gap 8) blouse-Free People, 9) heels-Calvin Klein 10) pants-Winter Kate
happy weekend loves!!
Hey guys! As summer is in full force and temperatures everywhere are heating up I have an AMAAAAAZING giveaway for you this week! Blossoms is an all natural line of lotions created earlier this year by Kelly Shirley who is based out of Queen Creek, Arizona. A few months ago Kelly was kind enough to give me a jar of her amazing preservative and additive-free lotion to try. I am a huge advocate of anything natural and local and I loooove this lotion. Not too overbearing with the scent and so smooth and moisturizing. Similar to the farm to the table sustainable food movement, people are beginning to care about what they put in/on their bodies. Currently Blossoms is only sold online and in select Phoenix area salons. BUUUT Blossoms & AVC are teaming up and giving not one buuut TWO lucky winners their own 8oz jar of lotion!!!
Here is how to enter:
-Follow Blossoms and AVC
-Like Blossoms and AVC on Facebook
Follow AVC on Twitter and Bloglovin
Remember Kelly and I will be randomly selecting TWO on July 20th 2012.
Leave a comment on what you did to participate so we can know the number of entires. Good Luck!!!!
I am so so so excited that I have finally received my first, much waited for BIRCHBOX!! I should have taken a pic of me when I swooped it up from the mailbox jumping up and down with excitement. As much as I looove shopping for clothes, shoes, bags, accessories etc I am such a sucker for beauty products. I love everything from skincare to makeup to nail polish. If you haven’t heard of Birchbox it’s a $10 monthly subscription. They send 5-7 sample sizes of new and different beauty products.
This month’s theme is Jet Set. A go-to number of travel items that are perfect for that Summer vacation you have planned!
1) Tili Bag-Essentially a thicker, nicer plastic zip bag. Perfect for traveling through airports and in the need for an on the go cosmetic holder.
2) Georgie Beauty Winks-Everyone has tried fake eyelashes before, but the best thing about this product is that it is a reusable lash. These lashes can be used up to 7 times! These particular Georgies were inspired by the original eye-batting women of the 50’s.
3) The Balm by Stainiac– This is a two-in-one lip and cheek stain. I have girlfriends who rave about this sort of product, but I just haven’t been swoon over yet. This was the first thing I tried when I opened the box. In my experience normally when something is a two-in-one you typically don’t like one of them. I initially put it on my lips and looooved the color. I am still getting used to putting a liquid on my cheeks for blush, but the coloring is really pretty. I noticed while looking up the link for this post Birchbox is really good about video tutorials on how to put on or wear the different products.
4) Hair Rules Lift Volumizing Shampoo– I haven’t tried this one and I don’t think I will until I travel next. This salon is NYC based and specializes in their products being versatile towards all hair types. It is SULFATE free, which is HUGE. I don’t know if any of you have made the switch, but sulfate free shampoo is really the only way to go.
5) LA FRESH oil free face cleanser– I love facial cleanser wipes for traveling. I always have the problem with an item or two exploding in my cosmetic bag and this is an excellent way to avoid this.
Well there you have it…I hope that you are all having a great week. And if you haven’t already definitely checked out Birchbox do so and tell me what you think!!
Posted in Beauty
Tagged beauty, birchbox, eco-beauty, fashion, georgie beauty winks, hair rules, hair rules lift volumizing shampoo, june birchbox, la fresh, makeup, stainiac, summer 2012, the balm, tili bags
Today I thought it would be fun to share with you some of my must haves when it comes to beauty products. I have always been the type of person who doesn’t necessarily go on the hunt for the best of the best. I don’t have the time or the money to experiment with all the different items on the market and in reality, I buy what people tell me to buy. If enough people tell me it works then I will try it out and then commit. So…here is a list of my fav’s that I believe you must try out/purchase!!!
Sally Hansen and NYC are my two fav drugstore nail polishes that are under $4.00 a pop which is awesome for me because I change my mind/nail color weekly.
Elnett is a hairspray I discovered through one of my fav’s Rachel Zoe. I will be honest…$14.99 is a lot to me to spend on drugstore hairspray, however let me tell you it lasts FOREVER!
Everyone everywhere is talking about the new “bb cream” frenzy. A beauty balm which helps moisturize, tint, and even out skin tone. Originally a phenomenon in Korea that quickly spread it’s name throughout Asia and then made its way into the U.S. So far I am not a fan of any B.B. Cream I have seen and my makeup artist friends agree that it is fluffed up marketing towards a so so product. Before this whole BB frenzy even began I was sold on this amaze product…Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer. If you don’t know Laura’s line please go to your nearest Nordstrom’s and check it out. I bought my tinted moisturizer 7 months ago and am not even half way done. For $42 that is a bangin deal!!!
So I am normally a gel nails type of girl, but recently I thought mine needed a break. It has been fun painting my nails again, however, I have a job that doesn’t permit the best kept manicure. My boyfriend bought me these leopard Broadway Nails when I was just visiting him in Phoenix, (months ago) for only about $4bucks. It is a pretty busy pattern so I try to just use 1 or 2 at a time which makes them last a lot longer!!!!
Lastly, I have started using Latisse thanks to my BFF Krystal. I use to get eyelash extensions when I lived in San Diego and just haven’t found someone worth it in Phoenix yet. I am so excited to see the results and I will for sure be sharing with all of you how I like it and what is to come.
What are your fav beauty products? I am always looking for suggestions for new products so please share!!!!